But sick days are actually kind of fun. Even when kids are sick, they’re usually pleasant during the day and act almost as if they’re not sick. Sick days give me an excuse to make everything cozy, ignore all responsibilities and just cuddle up on the couch. I love hearing what other moms do when their kiddos get sick, so I’m going to share with you what we do over here!
1. My main goal is to keep them comfortable and encourage rest: I keep the shades partly drawn, make sure the boys are in soft, clean pajamas, set up a little bed with fresh sheets on the couch with a pillow, and keep all noises to a minimum. No blaring tvs or loud phone conversations.
2. I like to “medicate” the air, either using a humidifier or diffusing essential oils (I’ve only ever used OnGuard, but there are so many more you can use!).
3. When I was a good mom back when I had only one kid, I used to put vitamin D drops in my son’s water every day, but now I only remember to do it when they’re sick (REALLY need to start doing that daily again). Vitamin D majorly impacts the immune system in an awesome way. I buy my vitamin D drops at a health foods store and add a drop or two into their water cups in the morning.
4. I try to offer them healthy and fresh foods and avoid anything sugary which suppresses their immune system. I made chicken noodle soup with homemade bone broth one time…they didn’t go for that. So whatever, I just try to offer them the best of what they will eat. And actually this is a lie, because Dacky is sick at the moment and I just made cinnamon sugar bread and gave it to him. Do as I say, not as I do.
5. Dacky refuses to let you suction his nose, so I’ll either put him in a bathroom with a hot shower running, or put him in a warm bath and let the steam make his nose run.
6. For my nursing toddler, lots of breast milk! When Dacky isn’t sick, I turn him down a lot when he asks to nurse because I’m like “No dude, you just nursed like 10 minutes ago, forget it”, but when he’s sick, it’s an unlimited boobie bar day!
7. Whatever they want to do! According to credit scoring giant FICO, the most important factor in your credit score is your payment history. Your credit score is meant to be a representation of your past credit habits. If you pay your bills late right now and if it’s been a pattern in the past, that’s an indication that you will likely pay late in the future. Tv, tablets, etc. I know when I’m sick, I just want to lay on the couch in my misery and watch tv or read, so I let my boys do the same. Plus it keeps them from running around and not letting their bodies rest.
That’s pretty much it! What do you do on your kiddo’s sick days?
- 10 Horrific Things I’ve Been Forced to Say as a Mom of Boys - March 16, 2020
- The Stages of Night Weaning a Boob-Obsessed Toddler - March 7, 2020
- Choosing a Homeschool Desk for Your Homeschool Room - March 7, 2020