Let me just share some quick stats with you! Piggie has been using the potty for about 3 weeks now.
- He’s had a handful of accidents in the last month where he barely wets himself, not even enough to change his underwear, but he’s able to stop the flow of urine and go to the potty to finish. So do those even count as accidents?
- He’s had ONE full pee accident, and it was yesterday. My mom had come over and brought new toys and he was totally thrown off.
- He’s had ZERO poop accidents. Poop, I’ve been told, seems to be the hardest concept for boys to get when potty training. And he doesn’t hold his poop, either.
- He never wets himself while napping and we do still have him in a diaper at night, but he usually wakes up dry.
- We just went on a 6 hour road trip to San Diego, and he had ZERO accidents there and back. We brought his potty along in the car and he would tell us when he needed to go.
- While on vacation, he went pee and poop in public restrooms with no problem.
Some things I did do to try to ripen his interest in going to the potty:
- Asked him frequently during diaper changes if he was ready to use the potty. I got the answer “no” for a very long time.
- Set a potty out.
- Read some potty books.
- Had him watch the Daniel Tiger episode where he learns to use the potty, multiple times. It’s on Netflix!
- Bought superhero underwear because he loves superheroes.
He had “signs” of getting closer to being ready to potty train long before he actually wanted to. He was interested in me using the toilet before he was two, when he was two his nap and nighttime diapers started getting drier and he started asking to have his poop diapers changed, and when he was three he started leaving the room to go poop in privacy in his diaper.
I’m not gonna lie, I doubted my plan many times, thinking if I didn’t “buckle down” and train him, he was going to be in diapers forever. It felt like everyone around us was out of diapers. Yet really, at three and a half years old, he’s at a pretty average age for boys to be officially potty trained.
- 10 Horrific Things I’ve Been Forced to Say as a Mom of Boys - March 16, 2020
- The Stages of Night Weaning a Boob-Obsessed Toddler - March 7, 2020
- Choosing a Homeschool Desk for Your Homeschool Room - March 7, 2020