This month's activities will focus around giving, winter animals & snow, Christmas crafts, and trains. If you downloaded my preschool schedule for the year, you'll notice I changed December up. I just think my original ideas were a bit over the heads of preschoolers.
Also December can be a busy month, so I wanted this make sure this month was super laid back! I also only did 3 weeks of activities this month instead of 4. Feel free to follow us on Instagram where I share our preschool adventures.
Theme: Winter Fun
Things to explore: The Polar Express
Numbers: 7, 8
Letters: R, K, S
Check out my preschooling printables located in the Printable's Library.
Week 1: Giving to others
Tuesday: Send a package to a loved one
Wednesday: Montessori Present Wrapping Station | Leave a small gift for our mailman
Thursday: Donate toys
Friday: Make cookies and give them to a neighbor/family member
Week 2: Snow + Winter Animals
Friday: Snow & Arctic sensory activity - going to make this snow, use this idea with these blue water beads and these plastic arctic animals, which I found on Amazon prime for just under $9. Also this idea for making a bear cave. SOOOO excited for this, the boys are going to love it!
Week 3: Christmas Crafts
Thursday: Make homemade cinnamon ornaments | 3 wine bottles for Mommy
Week 4: The Polar Express
Monday: Paint a train (I want to try and find a little unfinished wooden train at a craft store) | Polar Express preschool packet, pages 5, 6, 15, 19
Here are the books we'll be reading:
- Wyatt the Wonder Dog: Learns About Giving - Since it's almost Christmas, Wyatt the Wonder Dog is wondering how long he will have to wait until the big day and what gifts he will get. His mother however, has a much more important question for him to answer. Join Wyatt as he learns a valuable lesson about how anyone can be generous and giving at Christmas and all through the year.
- Over and Under - Over the snow, the world is hushed and white. But under the snow exists a secret kingdom of squirrels and snow hares, bears and bullfrogs, and many other animals that live through the winter safe and warm, awake and busy, under the snow. Discover the wonder and activity that lies beneath winter s snowy landscape in this magical book.
- Hibernation Station - Everybody at the station! It’s time for winter hibernation! The sweet rhyming text of this book will calm even the most rambunctious kids and have them dreaming about what it’s like to hibernate. Young readers will be soothed and delighted as this story introduces them to different types of hibernating animals. The creatures on the train are preparing to snuggle into sleep, although with a passenger list that includes chipmunks, bears, snakes, hedgehogs, groundhogs, frogs, turtles, mice, bats, and more, there’s a lot of noise! Will the hibernating critters ever get to sleep? Take a trip to Hibernation Station to find out!
- Amazing Arctic Animals -Why does an Arctic hare have tiny ears? To conserve heat! How does a walrus feel around for food on the bottom of the sea? With its whiskers! Learn cool facts about the arctic fox, the beluga whale, the snowy owl, and more in this book.
- Frederick - While the other field mice work to gather grain and nuts for winter, Frederick sits on a sunny rock by himself. “I gather sun rays for the cold dark winter days,” he tells them. Another day he gathers “colors,” and then “words.” And when the food runs out, it is Frederick, the dreamer and poet, whose endless store of supplies warms the hearts of his fellow mice, and feeds their spirits during the darkest winter days. Frederick’s story will warm readers as well in this Caldecott Honor winning fable. Pregnancy is one of the most exciting times of life. It is also a challenging time, as a woman’s body goes through an incredible transformation in the 40 weeks leading up to the due date. Read reviews and buy the best pregnancy pillows from top companies including Leachco, PharMeDoc, Queen Rose and more. Compare prices on pregnancy pillows online and buy the best one!
- Little Blue Truck's Christmas - It's the most wonderful time of the year! Little Blue Truck is spreading cheer by delivering Christmas trees to his animal friends. Can you help count each green tree from one to five and back again? Don’t forget to save one for Blue! Beep! Beep!
- Merry Christmas, Stinky Face - "What if Santa's lips get chapped?" Stinky Face asks. "What if the sack of toys starts to rip?" As always, Mama lovingly addresses each and every one of her child's concerns. Of course, Stinky Face leaves Santa lip balm and duct tape . . . just in case.
- The Night Before Christmas Mini Edition - Wonderful new version of the classic poem every family should own. Lavishly illustrated by renowned artist Charles Santore, the critically acclaimed illustrator of The Wizard of Oz, Snow White, The Little Mermaid, and others. A mini heirloom edition with a four-page gatefold. Includes embossed and foil cover.
- The Polar Express - Since its publication in 1985, Chris Van Allsburg’s holiday classic has sold millions of copies and has come to signify the essential spirit of Christmas for countless readers. Readers young and old are sure to treasure this inspiring book, which brings to life the magic of Christmas for all who believe.