The art of reincarnation, the magic of dressing up and sketching the image to the smallest detail - this is cosplay. For a long time, he caused ambiguous feelings in society, because the motivation for spending huge sums and long hours and weeks preparing for reincarnation is not always clear. Nowadays, cosplayers are not rare and even almost familiar.
Who are cosplayers?
A cosplayer is a person who is able to completely reincarnate, creating the most accurate image of the selected character using a costume, makeup, additional computer graphics (when it comes to photo and video works). How to become a cosplayer - you can find out by trying to create an entourage and a costume yourself, having studied the features of the selected personalities and characters in order to recreate not only the visual component, but also the atmosphere and character.
The history of cosplay began in 1939 in the United States during the first annual World Science Fiction Convention, where the science fiction writer Forest James Ackerman appeared dressed in a futuristic costume. Almost twenty years later, the tradition took root so much that few people appeared at the event without an outfit, and the organizers established a competition for the best performance of clothes and the general concept of the image.
It was at one of these events that Japanese writer Noboyuki Takahashi picked up the idea, transferring it to his culture, inspired by the attire of the guests of the holiday, he began to spread the idea of cosplay as a hobby in Japan. Anime lovers became the first followers of this trend.
How do cosplayers make money?
Today there are several ways to make money on this hobby if you decide to turn your hobby into a profession:
- Selling handmade costumes or Fortnite props or other props. Sewing and detailing of all parts of the image for people who want to arrange a photo session, video session or replenish their personal collection.
- Themed photosets to order. Basically, such photographs are of interest to the studios for the production of merch.
- Video and photo blogging, followed by page monetization and the sale of ad space.
- Cosplayer animator. Like animators at children's parties, they create shows for an adult audience.
- Cooperation in the gaming and film industries. They prepare presentations of new products, become a character "out" of a game, film, etc. to get to know the audience.